Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal (the Mexican flour ‘Mozerapa’ is a close substitute to the Kenyan flour)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 cups boiling water
- Put cold water in a medium-size saucepan, add cornmeal and salt, mixing continually.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, gradually stirring and slowly add 3 cups of boiling water to prevent lumps.
- Reduce to simmer, cover and cook for about 8 minutes, mixing frequently to prevent sticking.
- The ugali will be done when it pulls from the sides of the pan easily and does not stick.
- It should look like stiff grits.
- You can serve ugali with everything from meat stew to sugar and cream.