- 5 lbs. pork shoulder
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt; for every pound of meat
- Season the meat one day ahead and refrigerate. Do not cut off the fat.
- In a pilón crush the garlic well.
- Pour garlic into a small bowl and mix in the pepper, oregano, olive oil and salt.
- Mix it all well. Wash the meat and dry. Make slits all over the meat and season the meat making sure that seasoning goes into all the slits.. Refrigerate the shoulder for 24 hours.
- (You may use powder garlic or ground garlic sold in glass jars.)
- Place the meat on a deep pan with the fat side up (there will be a lot of grease).
- This will make great 'cueritos' - tasty crunchy pork skin. Do not turn the meat.
- Cook in a pre-heated, 350°F oven for about 2 1/2 hours or until well cooked.