- 1 1/2 To 2 lbs soaked dried cod *
- 2 lg Onions, sliced
- 6 tb Butter
- 1 cl Garlic, minced
- 3 lg Potatoes
- 2 tb Bread crumbs
- 10 Pitted green olives
- 10 Black olives
- 4 Hard-cooked eggs
- 1/2 c Chopped fresh parsley
- Wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Put the cod into a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the fish is tender. Drain; remove skin and bones. Flake the meat with a fork into large pieces.
- Saute the onions in 3 tablespoons of butter until they are tender and golden in color. Add the garlic. Boil the unpeeled potatoes in salted water. When they are tender (about 20 minutes), remove from the heat, put under cold running water, and remove the skins. Drain and slice into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg.F. Grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Arrange a layer of half the potatoes, then half the cod, then half the onions.
- Sprinkle with a little pepper and repeat the layering. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top layer. Bake for 15 minutes, or until heated through and lightly browned. Before serving, garnish the top with olives and eggs; sprinkle with parsley. Serve with the wine vinegar and oil in cruets and black pepper in a small dish.