Yield 6 servings.
- 1/2 c Vegetable oil
- 1/2 c Thinly sliced shallots
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan until hot but not smoking about 300 degrees F.
- Add the shallots and fry over moderate heat until crispy and golden brown about 5 minutes.
- Do not overcook. Immediately remove the shallots with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Reserve the oil for another use.
- Cooked this way shallots can be stored in a tightly covered jar on the kitchen shelf for up to 1 month.
- Yield: about 1/3 cup.