- 1 1/2 lb Spare ribs
- 1 Stalk celery
- 2 bn Parsley (small)
- 1 sm Onion
- 4 Allspice buds
- 4 Whole cloves
- 3 Whole peppers
- 10 Dried prunes, dried apples or pears
- 15 Cherries or raisins
- 2 tb Flour
- 1 c Sweet cream
- 1 ts Sugar
- 1/2 c Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Put vinegar into glass or crockery bowl (not metal) and into this catch the blood when killing the duck or goose and stir to avoid coagulation.
- Fresh pigs blood may also be used.
- Cover the fowl trimmings and spare ribs with water, bring to a boil and skim.
- Put spices, celery, onion and parsley into a sack and add to soup.
- Cook slowly until meat is almost done, about 2 hours.
- Remove spice sack add fruit and cook for 1/2 hour more.
- Blend flour with 1/2 cup of the blood mixture, add 3 T soup stock, and pour into soup, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar and cream and bring to a boil.
- Serve with egg noodles or potato dumplings.