- 120g agushi (egusi) or pumpkin seeds, ground to a paste
- 240g smoked dried fish, washed and flaked (or equivalent in cooked meat)
- 10 dried shrimp, ground
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 150ml meat stock
- 300ml red palm oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 hot chillies, pounded to a paste
- 250g bitterleaf, chopped (substitute 220g collard greens/turmip greens/kale + 30g young hop leaves or dandelion leaves)
- 1 garlic clove, ground
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place the agushi and onion in a pestle and mortar and pound to a rough paste.
- Place the chillies, some of the onion paste and fish in a pot.
- Add a little stock, season and simmer gently.
- Mould the remaining agushi paste into balls and drop into the soup.
- Add the remaining stock along with the bitterleaf, return to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the dried shrimp and palm oil, bring to a gentle boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with FuFu (Gari in the Ga language).