- 750 gms lamb, lean (or mutton)
- 250 gms lamb fat (less for the fatty lamb available in the U.S.A.)
- 2 tsp. cayenne
- 2 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 2 tsp. Kashmiri garam masala
- 1/2 C. yoghurt
- 2 Tbs. ghii
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 C. khoya
- 1 C. milk
- 2 tsp. pepper, black
- 4 cardamoms
- Chop the meat, fat, cayenne, fennel, ginger, coriander, and 1 tsp. garam masala with a food processor. Keep chopping, adding a little yoghurt and ghii, until the meat is a smooth paste.
- Form into balls 1.5-2 inches in diameter.
- Heat remaining ghii in a pan. Add sugar, khoya, yoghurt, garam masala, and salt to taste.
- Pour in the milk, add the koftas, and simmer until the liquid evaporates and the koftas are very tender.