- 2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 carrot, cooked and sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Place chicken pieces, onions, salt and hot water in a 5-pt saucepan.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- The chicken should be tender, yet firm.
- Remove and cool chicken, reserving stock.
- Remove meat from bones; use only large pieces for this dish.
- Cook rice in boiling salted water or cook in a rice cooker.
- When done cover until ready for use.
- To make stock sauce: Brown onions in hot butter and remove from heat.
- Add cardamom and cumin; mash with onion to form a paste.
- Add about 1 pt.
- of the chicken stock; simmer for 5 mintues and taste for seasoning.
- Combine cooked rice, stock sauce and chicken; place in a buttered casserole; place carrots on top of mixture and sprinkle with raisins.
- Cover and cook for about 35 to 45 minutes in a very moderate oven (325F).
- Add more stock or water if dish becomes too dry.
- When done, mix carrots and raisins lightly with chicken and rice.
- Stock not used in the main dish can be served as a soup course.