Serving Size : 1
- 1 Medium Ancho Pepper
- 1 Medium Guajillos
- 1 Medium Chipotle Pepper
- 1 Medium New Mexico Green Chiles -- dried
- 1 Clove Garlic -- finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Caraway
- 1 Medium Roasted Red Bell Pepper -- chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
Place dried chiles in bowl and pour boiling water over. Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Grind chiles in food processor with garlic, spices, red bell pepper and salt. Add enough oil to make a thick paste. Pack the mixture into a small jar. Cover harissa with thin layer of olive oil. Will keep in refrigerator for 3 weeks under a thin layer of oil. Check periodically.
Table Harissa sauce:
Combine 4 teaspoons of the above harissa sauce with 4 teaspoons of water and the juice of 1 lemon. Serve in small bowl and use as dipping sauce for fish or other meats.