- 2 slices onion
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 3 level tablespoons tomato concentrate
- 2 & 1/2 lb. fish, boned and cut in large pieces
- 1 & 1/2 pints water
- 2 level teaspoons salt
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 lb. cabbage, shredded
- 2 small sweet potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 lb. okra (1/2 packet frozen okra)
- 1 lb. cooked rice
Cook onion in hot oil in a 6-pint saucepan until yellow but not brown; add tomato concentrate and fish.
Cover and cook over low heat for 1/2 hour. Add water, salt and vegetables to fish mixture; cook gently for 1 hour.
Place a portion of rice in the centre of a soup bowl or plate; ladle stew over rice, serving some fish, vegetables and sauce.