Yield: 12 - 18 pcs
- 3 c All purpose flour 1 c Water
- 1 lb Extra lean ground beef
- 1 ea Onion; chopped 1/2 lb Daikon, spinach or cabbage, -chopped fine
- 1 Garlic clove; minced
- 1 ts Fresh ginger; grated
- 2 ea Green onion; chopped (white -and green both; no roots)
- 2 tb Fresh cilantro; chopped
Mix flour and the water; knead and form into a ball. Let rise covered with a wet towel or plastic wrap for 30 min. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Cut dough into 12 - 18 pieces and roll into small flat circles. Mash together all filling ingredients. Place a spoonful of filling on each dough circle, folding over and crimping to seal. Place momos in a steamer and steam on high for 30 min.
Serve with a mild tomato salsa, "Tsal", made from chopped tomatoes, cilantro, green onions and garlic, and/or Sriracha sauce and/or soy sauce.Recipe from Jigme Topgyal, a Tibetan. In his native Tibet, these would be made with a flour ground from roasted barley called "Tsampa". The [alternate] filling usually is made with ground chicken mashed with onions, daikon, fresh ginger, garlic and cilantro. [A] Vegetarian filling contains chopped cabbage, bok choy, tofu, green onion, ginger and garlic.