Serve: 6 cups
This is something I made with my Mom growing up. Truly a wonderful Greek accompaniment to many meals, especially meats, or as a dip for veggies and pita bread. Strained yogurt may be found at Greek groceries and specialty shops, or use the method listed in the steps. Adjust the amount of garlic to taste. Opa!
- 32 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 large English cucumber, peeled and shredded
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt to taste
- Place a cheese cloth over a medium bowl and strain the yogurt 6 hours in the refrigerator, or over night.
- Drain as much excess liquid from the cucumber and garlic as possible.
- In a large bowl, mix together the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, vinegar, olive oil and salt. Stir until a thick mixture has formed.