- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place the onions in a layer in the bottom of a Dutch oven or medium roasting pan with a lid. Arrange the lamb shanks on top of the onions. Pour the wine, balsamic vinegar and olive oil over the lamb. Place a clove of pressed garlic next to each shank, and a quarter of a lemon on each side. Pour the tomatoes over everything, then season with salt, pepper and basil.
- Cover and place in the preheated oven. Cook for 3 hours. Use juices from the pan to make a nice flavorful gravy.
Try with a California red wine like Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah or Zinfandel.